Distance: 150km [includes10km uphill]
Duration: 8hrs-10hrs [includes breaks]
Location: Banglore Whitefield – Nandi Hills [to and fro]
As a small prototype, which should help us train for our big Project 1200km.
Uphill is a different ball game compared to flat road riding. It took us near to 2 hours just for the last 2kms of uphill riding. Both my partner and I have beaten the pulp out of ourselves by the time we reached uphill. The attention, cheer and motivation of other tourist biker definitely motivated us.
After this uphill riding experience we decided to treat the uphill day a little different from flat road days with respect to target distance to be covered, diet, body conditioning etc.
- Started around 01:20 am to cover the trip
- We were chased several time by stray dogs. If we had to count the number of dogs we were chased by last night while doing this, it would be higher than the total of the number time I was chased by dogs in my whole life time
- I lost focus for a split second. Fell down and hurt my thigh. It was a scratch open wound. Used my hand sanitizer to wipe off the dirt and clean the wound since it was 3.30 am in the morning an there were no medical shops near by. Got help from locals in the later part of the day to get it treated and dressed
- Uphill took 2 hours to cover. Downhill took 7 minutes
- Reached a new maximum speed in my cycle 53 km/hr
- Auro lost his shit, felt very tired on the way back, suffered from extreme body pain. This was because of his lack of sleep from previous night. Bad planning/ discipline affects team work
There were a lot of thoughts that sparked during this trip. Some were:
- Why must everyone start a difficult personal physical project?
- How being competent is being the default mode?
- Goal setting vs System setting: What approach is good for what?
These thoughts are the currency that I get out of these activities. I love to think deeply. In fact, this is the whole point to starting this project. Check out “Why I decided to go on a 1200km cycle expedition”
You can expect posts on the above topics soon. I have let it incubate in my mind for some time. While these are in progress, I am trying out an new experiment of meditating for 10 minutes everyday after waking up. Check out other experiments.
Not I, not any one else can travel that road for you,
You must travel it for yourself.
It is not far, it is within reach,
Perhaps you have been on it since you were born and did not know,
Perhaps it is everywhere on water and on land.